At 18:16 on 10/24/2002 EDT, Jason Gloudon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> STACK_DIR is a compile time constant, so the multiplies in the following code
> are eliminated by the compiler if it does any optimization.  By making
> STACK_DIR a variable, the compiler is no longer able to do this and has to
> generate code to do multiplies.

Fair enough.   I suspected it had to be something like that, but I was
kind of dense and didn't follow what you were saying.

If I rejigger my code to make it work both ways (run-time
for miniparrot, compiled-in elsewise), will that be OK?

(I can do this by #defining PARROT_STACK_DIR to either a number or a
 variable name in stackdir.pl)

--Josh