On Wed, 30 Oct 2002 at 12:17 -0800, Michael Lazzaro <[EMAIL PROTECTED]:

> On Wednesday, October 30, 2002, at 11:58  AM, Larry Wall wrote:
> > I'd even be willing to give up ´foo bar bazª meaning qw(foo bar baz)
> > for this.
>
> I can't see that right (MacOSX Jaguar) in the email; to me it looks
> like a forwardtick and an, um, underlined 'a' -- but in spite of that,
> I'm game.  It's just so pretty (when it works!)
>
> On my Mac, it's spelled «op» -- can others see that correctly, or do we
> have a sorry disconnect in the fonts, here, for us Mac folks?

This concerns me, so forgive this partial digression.

When I tried to read Larry's message there were no characters
around the foo bar bas (which arrived as

I just saw
"I'd even be willing to give up foo bar baz meaning qw(foo bar baz)
for this."
in both pine and lookout, and my spool files.

I was quite surprized when I saw Larry's message quoted with the
characters in question in Austin's message (arrived
as Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii)
> I'd even be willing to give up «foo bar baz» meaning qw(foo bar baz)
> for this.

How did they get transformed to the funny 0xb4 and 0xaa characters
in Micheal's quote. (arrived as Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable_

ISO_8859_1
       253   171   AB     «     LEFT-POINTING DOUBLE ANGLE QUOTATION MARK
       273   187   BB     »     RIGHT-POINTING DOUBLE ANGLE QUOTATION MARK