This > ¶ < is a pilchrow, which shows up for me as one of those
paragraph-sign looking backwards P's with two vertical bars. Sorry if
it doesn't come out for you.

--- Brent Dax <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> The Unicode version is more typing than the non-Unicode version, so
> what's the advantage?  It's prettier?

If you're a MAC user, you already know from the myriad responses
pointing at option-whatever how to generate the sequences.

If you're a PC/DOS user, you deserve whatever you get. But your
text-editor may support macros. I used Multi-Edit when I was DOSsing,
and it did. Ask your manufacturer.

If you're using OS/2, I'm sorry. The 850 codepage supports the
characters « and », but I don't know how to help you generate them
other than alt-123

If you're using X, and you don't already know how to generate these
characters, RTFM: xmodmap. If you can't make it work, your license to
use Linux will be revoked. Nobody who can't use xmodmap should be
allowed to own a keyboard.

If you're using Windows, specific reference is made to the following
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q306560

I quote (using alt-[ and alt-], which now do « and » for me,
respectively):

««««««
Adding the United States-International Keyboard Layout

To add the United States-International keyboard layout, follow these
steps:

Click Start, and then click Control Panel.

Under Pick a category, click Date, Time, Language, and Regional
Options.

The Regional and Language Options dialog box appears.

On the Languages tab, click Details.

The Text Services and Input Languages dialog box appears.

Under Installed services, click Add.

The Add Input language dialog box appears.

In the Input language list, click the language that you want. For
example, English (United States).

NOTE: When you use the United States-International keyboard layout, you
should also use an English language setting.

In the Keyboard layout/IME list, click United States-International, and
then click OK.

In the Select one of the installed input languages to use when you
start your computer list, click Language name - United
States-International (where Language name is the language that you
selected in step 6), and then click OK.

In the Regional and Language Options dialog box, click OK.

Notice that the Language bar appears on the taskbar. When you position
the mouse pointer over it, a ToolTip appears that describes the active
keyboard layout. For example, United States-International.

Click the Language bar, and then click United States-International on
the shortcut menu that appears.

The United States-International keyboard layout is selected.

NOW:

At this point, Meestaire ISO-phobic Amairecain Programmaire, you have
achieved keyboard parity with the average Swiss six-year-old child.
Don't let this happen again. We can't afford a keyboard-gap!

Yes, living below the earth in salt mines, with a properly chosen ratio
of nubile females to fertile males, say ten for every one, it will be
possible to ...

erk. sorry. (*)

The URL goes on to list all the cool keys you can generate, but two
things:

1- You've probably got a little [EN] icon in your taskbar. Make sure to
switch to the international flavor (either using leftALT-Shift in a
window, or by mousing the [EN] taskbar icon) before pounding away at
your new ¶erlified keyboard.

2- The IME only uses rightALT for key composition. Those of you whose
right thumbs have been amputated in freak mine accidents will have to
pursue more accessibility features.

=áµßþíñ (International Man of Mystery)

* -- Speaking of Dr. Strangelove, happy 50th birthday to "Mike."

November 1, 1952, saw the detonation of "Mike", the worlds first
hydrogen bomb. "Elugelab, the Pacific island on which Mike exploded,
was erased by the blast. When told that Elugelab was 'missing',
America's president-elect, Dwight Eisenhower, visibly paled."
(Economist)

Here's to 50 years of unemployment. So far.