On Thu, 7 Nov 2002 at 10:38 -0800, Michael Lazzaro <[EMAIL PROTECTED]:

> I dunno anymore, maybe we need to rethink what place there is for
> public domain docs at all.  Perhaps we just have a man page that says
> "buy the damn books, you cheapskate" and be done with it.

I trust you were joking, right?

I learned perl3 by reading the 62 pages of the manual.

I learned perl4 by reading the 76 pages of the manual,
 and then bought the book.

For perl5 I read much of the manual, and bought and read 4 books.
 (there are nearly 2000 pages of pod documentation for perl5.9,
 not counting the perldoc of the installed modules).

I expect that perl6 will have more online documentation,
and I'll probably learn from the new books I purchase.

With out authoritive online documention I don't think
that perl6 will go anywhere.