At 8:29 PM +0100 11/7/02, Leopold Toetsch wrote:
Michael Lazzaro wrote:

On Thursday, November 7, 2002, at 06:36  AM, Austin Hastings wrote:

For 'bit', the key value is (eenie, meenie, ...) '1'.

From A2 we have:

"Run-time properties really are associated with the object in question, which implies some amount of overhead. For that reason, intrinsic data types like C<int> and C<num> may or may not allow run-time properties.

From E2: a C<int> will never have attributes or promote to an object.
Attributes aren't properties.

Basically anything you can potentially find in a symbol table or lexical scratchpad will potentially be able to have a property attached to it. The only way that we'll be able to reasonably restrict (and optimize) the use of low-level data types is to keep them out of the symbol tables, which then makes using them in string evals and suchlike things somewhat problematic. (And not allowing properties on them will require us to throw runtime errors) It'll also make passing them in as parameters interesting, as we'd then need to construct temporary full variables that held them, which'd be somewhat interesting to deal with.
--
Dan

Dan Sugalski even samurai
[EMAIL PROTECTED] have teddy bears and even
teddy bears get drunk