On Mon, 2002-11-18 at 10:08, Erik Steven Harrison wrote:

> --
>
> On 17 Nov 2002 11:09:53 -050
>  Bryan C. Warnock wrote:
> >On Wed, 2002-11-13 at 13:26, Angel Faus wrote:
> >>
> >> There are many ways to specify literal numeric values in perl, but
> >> they default to base 10 for input and output. Once the number has
> >
> >Surely, Perl 6 will allow changing the radix on a more global scale.
>
> Of course it will! But just about anything acn be changed with a grammer munge.
>Theoretically Perl 5 could add radix notation with a source filter. But we don't have
>to document that.
>
> I think that we should avoid refering to pragmas and modules as much as possible in
>the core documentation. That's a departure from Perl 5. Here's my case:

Is it expected that the base grammar should always be base 10, or that
the base grammar should always have a default radix?  Given the amount
of introspection normally found in perl, I expect the latter, regardless
of the implementation - ie, a pragma, or a property, or a magic
variable.

The point was to *not* state in the documentation that an implicit radix
defaults to base 10, but to a default radix (which, by default, happens
to be 10).  It's not important to document how that default can be
changed, but it *is* important to capture the precise semantics of the
language-to-be, for both the users and the core coders.

--
Bryan C. Warnock
bwarnock@(gtemail.net|raba.com)