Thanks for the tip.

I think I can use that to work around the limitation. It makes it
unnatural to
have a script with the pattern:

     some code
     some subroutine definitions
     some more code, calling the subroutines.

Which Jako permits.

It looks like I can wrap all the bits of miscellaneous code in little
pseudo-
subs:

    .sub __CODE__0
        goto __CODE__1
    .end

    .sub some_real_sub
    .end

    .sub __CODE__1
       call some_real_sub
    .end

And just ignore the spurrious 'ret' instructions imcc generates to
"properly"
terminate each of the "subroutines" (if imcc ever does dead code removal,
it could actually remove these instructions before they make it to the
..pasm
file).

Regards,

-- Gregor