On 12/05/2002 12:18 PM, Michael Lazzaro wrote:

On Thursday, December 5, 2002, at 02:11  AM, James Mastros wrote:

On 12/04/2002 3:21 PM, Larry Wall wrote:

\x and \o are then just shortcuts.
Can we please also have \0 as a shortcut for \0x0?
\0 in addition to \x, meaning the same thing? I think that would get us back to where we were with octal, wouldn't it? I'm not real keen on leading zero meaning anything, personally... :-P
You misinterpret. I meant \0 meaning the same as \c[NUL], IE the same as chr(0), a null character. (I suppse I should have said \0x[0].)

Which means that the only way to get a string with a literal 0xFF byte in it is with qq:u1[\xFF]? (Larry, I don't know that this has been mentioned before: is that right?) chr:u1(0xFF) might do it too, but we're getting ahead of ourselves.
Hmm... does this matter?
Sorry. It does, in fact, not matter... momentarly stopped thinking in terms of utf8 encoding being a completly transparent process.