On Mon, Dec 09, 2002 at 01:40:37PM -0500, Dan Sugalski wrote:
> What I'd like is for folks to take the next day or three to think of
> the things that they need parrot to do that aren't working or
> designed yet, and throw them at the list. (Try against the latest
> CVS, just to make sure that it's not gotten done when you weren't
> looking) In the mean time I'll work on my list, and we'll get a Big
> List 'O Things, throw them into RT, and start digging through them.

This is possibly a big stuff wish list. I'm not sure how many are on the "maybe
never" list.

Apart from the obvious ("moon on a stick", "a pony", "Quantum Larry (writing
the apocolypses in parallel universes in constant time)") I'd like

Exceptions that can be thrown from C

Regression tests for all the ops (even if not all the cases within them)

Regression tests that cause 100% code coverage (that's probably impossible to
ever get to, but it's a number to aim at)

A unified parrot bytecode generation library (probably in C, but with a perl
interface)

The assembler, IMCC and anything else all using the unified bytecode generation
library

No C compiler warnings on a single platform

No C compiler warnings on any platform

ppc linux to pass (copying varargs issue; probably not hard)

JIT to be aware of different sized integers, floats

computed goto core to compile with less resources

all the little languages that have test suites to be built and run as part of
the tinderbox (with a target in the standard makefile to do this)

JIT to be run as part of the tinderbox (I don't think it is currently)

Fleshing out what parrot IO should do. Particularly how it relates to async IO,
event loops, and the perl5.8 IO layer system

A Java bytecode to parrot bytecode translator

Foreign opcode translation (at load time or runtime)

A z-code interpreter (based on the two previous items)

Implementation of an existing general purpose scripting language on parrot
(such as Python or Ruby)

I may have forgotten some things :-)

Nicholas Clark
--