I've been looking into the cause of these failures, and it seems to be
 yet another GC bug (or more likely another symptom of the same
 underlying bug).

 The problem in this case is in scratchpad_new (in sub.c). This creates a
 new Scratchpad PMC, and subsequently also creates two new lists (one for
 the lexical names, the other for the values). When running under
 --gc-debug, allocating memory for these lists triggers GC/DOD, which
 garbage collects the Scratchpad. Finally, the function tries to assign to
 the Scratchpad's data section, which triggers a segfault, since this now
 points to random memory.

 As before, I have no idea _why_ the PMC is being destroyed prematurely,
 so I can't suggest a fix.

 Simon