On Thu, Jan 09, 2003 at 07:55:20PM -0500, John Siracusa wrote:
> Has there been any discussion of how to create code in Perl 6 that's there
> under some conditions, but not there under others?  I'm thinking of the
> spiritual equivalent of #ifdef, only Perlish.
>
> In Perl 5, there were many attempts to use such a feature for debugging and
> assertions.  What everyone wanted to do was write code like this:
>
>     debug("Doing foo with $bar and $baz");
>     foo($bar, $baz);

I would assume it to be a compiler hint via subroutine attribute.

    sub debug ($msg) is off {
        print STDERR $msg;
    }

some "this subroutine is a no-op if a flag is set" attribute.

--

Michael G. Schwern   <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>    http://www.pobox.com/~schwern/
Perl Quality Assurance      <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>         Kwalitee Is Job One