--- Nicholas Clark <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 13, 2003 at 06:12:59AM -0800, James Michael DuPont wrote:
>
> > *) Support for cross compilation
> > i think that it is important that we really come to terms with the
> new
> > configure tool. To be honest, i like the idea of using a perl based
> > configurator, and my research into autoconf and automake might feed
> > into this.
> >
> > How far do you plan on stepping on autoconfs toes with this? Do you
> > want to continue with a special solution, or does not it make sense
> > turn around and go back to automake and autoconf?
>
> Well, http://www.gnu.org/software/autoconf/autoconf.html says:
>   Autoconf is an extensible package of m4 macros that produce shell
> scripts
>   These scripts can adapt the packages to many kinds of UNIX-like
> systems

well, the m4 is not needed to run the configure.

> Automake says (http://www.gnu.org/software/automake/automake.html):
>   Automake requires the use of GNU Autoconf.

automake is written in perl

> which implies that autoconf needs a shell to run the configure system
> it
> generates. That's not going to work for Win32

yes, unless you translate that shell into perl for execution.

> (Not that I use Win32 personally, but I like things to work on Win32
> because
> then no-one complains that things don't work, and so I can pretend it
> doesn't
> exist. I'm speaking personally here - other people working on parrot
> probably have much less selfish views on Win32)

I aggree that win32 is important, but as perl is ported, m4 and shell
have also been ported. (if you look at mingw32-sys and cygwin you will
see that)

Again, i like the new configure script, but it will need expansion to
handle more responsabilites. I dont like the configure scripts, but
they work, and many people support them, not the question is,
do you want to beef put the new system to handle cross compiling and
other configure responsabilities?

Do you want to make a replacement for autoconf in general?
I have been looking into bashdb, it supports the debugging of bash
scripts.

It is an idea to translate the configure scripts via bashdb into perl
and to use that to create new features for the perl configure scripts.

Also, the m4 macros can themself be modified directly into perl because
they are used to generate the configuration tests.

but this all needs lot of work and will take months to do, the question
is how far are we with configure and how happy are you with it?

mike

=====
James Michael DuPont
http://introspector.sourceforge.net/