On Wed, Feb 19, 2003 at 02:06:55PM +0000, Peter Haworth wrote:
> Shouldn't we be traversing the inheritance tree once, doing these three
> steps at each node until one works, rather doing each step once for the
> whole tree. MM dispatch probably complicates this, though.
>
> If my derived class has an autoloaded method which overrides the base class'
> method, I don't want the base class method to be called, just because parrot
> does things in a peculiar order. Well, I know it's the same order that perl5
> does things, but it's still peculiar.

I'm no OO expert, but a single traversal sounds right to me too. I am
reminded of various proposals to enhance Perl5's tie interface by allowing
for example, an optional FETCHSLICE method that would be called in
peference to lots of individual FETCHes.  This would have caused all sorts
of problems if the FETCHSLICE was later added to a base class, since the
derived class's FETCH method would be ignored in favour of the base
class's new FETCHSLICE method.

--