At 12:06 AM -0500 2/21/03, Benjamin Goldberg wrote:
Andy Wardley wrote:

Dan Sugalski wrote much sense, including these gems:
[snip]
 > Code must be able to fetch a handle on a particular method for later
 > calling

 By this I presume you mean that the handle would be frozen to the
 method as it was when then handle was fetched?  If you later re-define
 the method, the handle would remain pointing at the original method,
 not the new one.

Or not?

Redefining methods is almost (but not quite) as evil as altering inheritance trees (at least wrt to it's effect on caching methods).

So? This is perl, it happens with some frequency, and other languages we'll be running (like Ruby) do it rather more than perl does. Doesn't matter if we like it or not, it's going to happen so we deal with it. There are optimization tricks we can use, but they need to be behind-the-scenes tricks and not affect language semantics.
--
Dan

                                      teddy bears get drunk