At 10:37 +0000 3/10/03, Tim Bunce wrote:
I think this might be interesting to some of you...
  "Judy is a general purpose dynamic array implemented as a C callable
  library. Judy's speed and memory usage are typically better than
  other data storage models and improves with very large data sets."

http://judy.sourceforge.net/application/10minutes.htm
http://judy.sourceforge.net/application/
http://sourceforge.net/projects/judy
I've appended a few extracts from the "10minutes.htm" url given above.

This looks very interesting (particularly for a project I'm working on now, which was the reason I looked into this right now), but the project really seems quite silent if not dead.

Some more info:
Only HP-UX and Linux seem to be supported out of the box (only tried Linux and Mac OS X).

I adapted the indexSL program to just be a filter and piped /usr/share/dict/words through it. Then let it run with Valgrind. That reports:

==11948== LEAK SUMMARY:
==11948==    definitely lost: 11 bytes in 1 blocks.
==11948==    possibly lost:   26 bytes in 2 blocks.
==11948==    still reachable: 0 bytes in 0 blocks.

Not a whole lot of leakage, but still.

I got the configure script into believing that MacOS X is really Linux. Compilation then halts on
byteswap.h being missing. I didn't look any further then.

The forum seems to be missing answers from the primary (only) developer. Bug reports with patches have not been applied (such as trivial bashisms in the configure script).

The application directory contains some nice examples that might be applicable to Parrot: especially the "best of both worlds" approach in which Judy arrays are used to handle hash value collisions on a rather small (256 or 64K keys) hash.

Just my 2 eurocents worth (which appear to be worth more than 2.1 US$ cents nowadays ;-)

Liz