--- Michael Lazzaro <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Wednesday, May 28, 2003, at 01:01 PM, Austin Hastings wrote:
> > Exampling:
> >
> > sub traverse(Hash $tree) {
> >   return unless $tree;
> >
> >   traverse $tree{left} if $tree{left};
> >   yield $tree{node};
> >   traverse $tree{right} if $tree{right};
> > }
> >
> > my %hash is Tree;
> > my &cotrav := coro &traverse(%hash);
> > print $_ for <ctrav.resume>;
> >
> > my &thtrav := thread &traverse(%hash);
> > print $_ for <thtrav.resume>;
>

> Hmm.  I think that having _anything_ on the caller side that has to
> change based on whether the called thing is a subroutine vs. a
> coroutine probably defeats one of the most central purposes of
> coroutines -- that nifty subroutine-like abstraction that makes it
> "just work".  Consider, under Damian's latest model:
>
>      for <foo()> {...}
>
> It doesn't matter whether foo() is a closure or function returning a
> list, lazy list, or iterator, or is a coroutine returning it's .next
> value.  Which is excellent, and, I'd argue, the whole point; I'm not
> sure that we can have any coroutine syntax that _doesn't_ do that,
> can we?

Given that I can say:

  sub do_foo {...}
  my &foo := coro &do_foo;

I can still provide the "transparent" behavior you're wanting.

> But, as Luke pointed out, some of the other syntax required to make
> that work is isn't particularly friendly:
>
>      coro pre_traverse(%data) {
>          yield %data{ value };
>          yield $_ for <&_.clone(%data{ left  })>;
>          yield $_ for <&_.clone(%data{ right })>;
>      }

> If I work backwards, the syntax I'd _want_ for something like that
> would be much like Luke proposed:
>
>      sub pre_traverse(%data) is coroutine {
>          yield %data{ value };
>          pre_traverse( %data{ left  } );
>          pre_traverse( %data{ right } );
>      }
>
> ... where the internal pre_traverses are yielding the _original_
> pre_traverse.  Whoa, though, that doesn't really work, because you'd
> have to implicitly do the clone, which screws up the normal iterator
> case!  And I don't immediately know how to have a syntax do the right
> thing in _both_ cases.
>
> So, if I have to choose between the two, I think I'd rather iteration
> be easy than recursion be easy.  If lines like
>
>         yield $_ for <&_.clone(%data{ left  })>;
>
> are too scary, we might be able to make a keyword that does that,
> like:
>
>      sub pre_traverse(%data) is coroutine {
>          yield %data{ value };
>          delegate pre_traverse( %data{ left  } );
>          delegate pre_traverse( %data{ right } );
>      }
>
> Maybe.  But in truth, that seems no more intuitive than the first.

Q: Can you "yield" from a subsubroutine?

If no, then yield=>coro at compile time. I don't care much for this
because it puts too much emphasis on remaining "in" the coroutine,
precluding me from distributing functionality. John MacDonald has given
several examples of this.

Q: If you recurse, does it automatically create a new coro context?

If Yes:  We need a way to recurse in context. Perhaps by saying
&_.recurse(...) ?

If No: How do you create a new context?

Perhaps we need both: coro-as-verb to create a coro context on any
arbitrary function, and coro-as-type to declare contexts in advance.

> (s/coroutine/thread/g for the same rough arguments, e.g. "why should
> the caller care if what they're doing invokes parallelization, so
> long as it does the right thing?")

Global variables. Threads __never__ do the right thing.

=Austin