I've often talked about the difference between my black-box test experience and the unit testing context that most of you are working in. I've come across an interesting example of an open source black-box tool - QMTest, http://www.codesourcery.com/qm/qmtest.

QMTest has all the basic black box functional testing features that I'd expect - expected output specified for stdout and stderr, verifying the exit code of the test process, resource setup and teardown, expected results, etc. Its gui is provided by a local web server, and it also has a command line interface.

I haven't looked at it enough to say whether I recommend the tool or not, but it is a concrete example of the type of tool I like to use as a functional tester.

Too bad it's written in Python. :-( It has a test class that can directly call Python code fragments. It wouldn't surprise me if someone written a test class for Perl.
--
Danny R. Faught
Tejas Software Consulting