G'day,

I'm doing a bit of research and having a bit of fun reimplementing the PHP
parser, I've been using Python and dParser.sf.net (http://dparser.sf.net A
scannerless GLR parser).

I'm almost to the point where I can start taking an AST and doing  code
generation, and I'd really like to be able to use Parrot as my target
machine.

I'm aware Parrot is a little bit of a moving target, and I'm wondering where I
can find the most up to date reference on it, for the purposes of writing a
code generator. I'm interested in a full set of instructions, and possibly an
existing compiler I can look at.

I see this page parrot website :
http://www.parrotcode.org/docs/parrot.pod.html

Is reading those documents my best bet? Some of them haven't been altered
since '01 (and in fact one of them seems a verbatim copy of an article on
perl.com). Does anyone have any other recommendatations? Should I just read
the source?

I'm not sure how I'm going to go about bootstrapping this (the bootstrapping
must be done for 100% php compatibility because its 'include' operator is
equivilient to reading a file and running eval($file_contents);). If Parrot
is eventually able to compile Python and that Python is capable of using C
extensions, then it should be possible to simply use the compiler I've
already written - Is that going to be even possible? Using C extensions from
Parrot-compiled bytecode? It seems thats in a bit of doubt (based on the
comments about the Python compiler using C code and having to use a drop-in
replacement code generator to solve the bootstrap issue).

Regards,
Stephen Thorne.