Nicholas Clark <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 20, 2003 at 02:05:19PM +0200, Leopold Toetsch wrote:

>> This leads to changes in parsing the vtable.tbl - which we need anyway
>> to do the proposed var/value split of vtables.
>>
>> e.g.
>> [FETCH]
>> get_integer
>> [STORE]
>> set_integer
>> [PUSH]
>> push_integer
>> and so on.
>> The section names conform (where applicable) to methods described in
>> Tie::*(3pm).
>>
>> Comments welcome

> Could we split the vtable further, so var/value by read/write, which would
> allow constant objects to swap their write vtable to a throw implementation.
> Did I misread what you were suggesting either in this message or later, and
> you were suggesting this split?

I'm suggesting exactly this split. Or lets say pmc2c.pl knows that e.g.
[FETCH] is a read and [STORE] is a write, which will get a throw
implementation for the Const$Class.
WRT var/value split, I think only FETCH/STORE get duplicated in both
sections.

> I'm not sure if a simple read/write split also helps PMCs shared across
> threads. Maybe sharing between threads is a whole new can of worms that we
> should leave untouched for now.

When a PMC is shared it is either ro or rw - in all threads. I don't see
a problem here.

> Nicholas Clark

leo