Sigh. My plan in starting this discussion was not to talk about
licenses. But it sounds like it's safer not to use Winfrotz if we don't
have to. I note that Games::Rezrov is "same terms as Perl itself"
license. However, in his effort to make Rezrov run fast, the author (by
his own admission) obfuscated the code. In addition, I may want to copy
some pieces of the C code wholesale for implementing certain opcodes,
so it'll be a lot easier to have stealable C code than translating
obfuscated Perl back into C.

Jzip, meanwhile, says:

Copyright (c) 2000  John D. Holder.  All rights reserved.

modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions
are met:
1. Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright
   notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.
2. Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright
   documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.

THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE AUTHOR ``AS IS'' AND ANY EXPRESS OR
IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED
WARRANTIES
OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE DISCLAIMED.
IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHOR BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT,
INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING,
BUT
NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS OF
USE,
DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY
THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT
(INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE
OF
THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.

To my untrained eyes, that sounds safer, since it appears to be less
restrictive than either GPL or Artistic.

Now let's get this license stuff out of the way so I can get to actual
coding!

-Amir

p.s. re the email subject: For now, I'm calling the Parrot Z-machine
project "parrotZ". It's simple, it expresses that it's Z-machine in
Parrot, and it even rhymes with "frotz" if you pronounce it right. It
might or might not stand for "parrotZ: A Register-based Runtime Of The
Z-machine". And as you know, coming up with a good name is half the
battle in finishing a tough project. Well, maybe half a percent of the
battle.