On Tue, 9 Sep 2003, Gordon Henriksen wrote:

> Random thought....
>
> There's some discussion on perl-qa right now about how Test::More should
> implement "is_deeply", which executes a code block and tests that the
> return value is equivalent to a particular nested data structure. (The
> question posed on that list is with regard to how to handle tie()'d
> objects, which is not what I'm addressing here.) Result of that
> discussion's outcome, should the serialization API being discussed here
> enable the following behavior?
>
>     ok(freeze($expected) eq freeze($actual));
>
> I bring this up because using object addresses as IDs in the
> serialization entirely prevents this usage.

Good. Having waded through one of the threads on p5p just a minute ago,
I'm not willing to guarantee this. In fact, I'm willing to explicitly not
guarantee this. If we want to compare two frozen structures, string
equality is *not* the way to go. Each freeze could, theoretically, choose
a different freezing method yet still represent the original.

This is a Good Place for a black-box comparison op, which string equality
definitely is not.

                                        Dan