At 3:30 PM -0600 9/15/03, Luke Palmer wrote:

The problem is we need to somehow un-optimize while we're running. That is most likely a very very hard thing to do, so another solution is probably needed.

It is, indeed, a very hard problem. It's solvable if you disallow several classes of optimization (basically ones that involve code motion) that make things less than optimal. You can also scatter a lot of tests for invalidations and have the notification system set the flags, though there are still code motion problems there. (Loops are particularly troublesome)
--
Dan

                                      teddy bears get drunk