At 11:05 PM 10/9/2003 +0100, Nicholas Clark wrote:
On Wed, Oct 08, 2003 at 06:43:27PM +0200, Leopold Toetsch wrote:
> Melvin Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > I think if you have the op for dereferencing, you don't need the
> > additional ops for
> > getting the type of the reference.
>
> Too true, thanks

Yes, but if you have to go via another PMC register then you may spill.
Whereas it seemed that the type retrieval ops went direct to S and I
registers, which may save spillage. (at a cost of more ops)

Well, 1 extra register is required which shouldn't be enough to worry about. Spillage is pretty rare with the number of registers we have so I doubt it will make a difference.

-Melvin