Can someone explain to me the lexical pad stack and static nesting depth?

I'm trying to write "global" for tcl, and trying to pull out a variable from the outermost pad, and failing to find it. - I'm fairly certain this is because I'm abusing "new_pad" and "store_lex" (always using 0 as the static nesting depth). Works fine when all I care about is the current pad - but getting to variables elsewhere in the pad stack results in a lexical not found error.

Do I need to manually keep track of my nesting depth? If so, what's the rationale? (why have the stack if you also have the nesting depth?)

Heading off to experiment...

--
Will "Coke" Coleda will at coleda dot com