Dan Sugalski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> On Fri, 17 Oct 2003, Leopold Toetsch wrote:
>
> > Dan Sugalski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > > Put them *back*, please, unless you're going to fix core.pm.
> >
> > Done. op2pm.pl now has the renumbering. Its simpler and cleaner.
> >
> > Now, that 1237 opcodes are fixed numbered, shall we remove the
> > finger-printing? Currently we just don't read PBCs, when the
> > finger-print (generated from core.pm) doesn't match.
>
> We should keep the fingerprinting, since we can still have an issue where
> new bytecode can't run on old interpreters, but it's probably time to take
> another look at how we set the fingerprint.

The fingerprint is an ugly hack:
It builds an MD5-hash over the signatures and stores the first 10
bytes in the reserved slots of the parrot header. The reason why it
was introduced was that the bytecode_numbers were floating, and each
change led to hard to debug errors. When these opcodes are fixed now
then the fingerprint should go out.

If we want to keep the fingerprint it should be generated from the
ops.num file, and it should be moved out of the header. The only
reason I put it there was that by this time we used the nonextendable
Version 0 bytecodeformat and had two independ ways of creating
assembly (which is now dead).

bye
boe
--
Juergen Boemmels                        [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Fachbereich Physik                      Tel: ++49-(0)631-205-2817