On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 19:28:30 -0000, "Jonathan Worthington"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> [...]
Your 15/11 build works fine
>  Does my POW build work under other Windows versions for the test you
>gave me (it worked here)?
Sorry, no access to other windows versions. I'll ask on another list.

>May I ask in what way the example doesn't work on Win98?  Crash?  Exception?
>Does nothing?
Does nothing.
>  I do have access to WinME, which is essentially Win98 with
>more bugs and less stability, so I can take a look into why there are so
>many problems (and hey, now I've learnt some C, I might be able to fix
>something).
>
>My best guess on at least some of the building problems is that the 98 shell
>is probably even worse than the XP one, and doesn't do stuff like we'd
>expect.  I could be way off.
I've installed minGW/MSYS, so I have a cut down bash. So far, it
hasn't really been shell problems, just uncharted territory: it's just
that no-one else on this list is sad enough to be running 98 ;-)

>If you have time, please could you do me a favour?  Go to a command prompt
>in 98, change to the pow directory and do:-
>
>perl t/harness
>
>And send me the output.
Erm, well, in pow 23/12 this dies rather horribly 'cos there is no lib
directory & hence no Parrot/Test.pm, and no include directory & hence
no header files.

On the snapshot I've been playing with, and got Configure.pl to run
on, (29/11, I'll download a fresh one if you think it will help), the
output is rather large:

$ perl t/harness
t/src/basic.........# 'gcc  -g t/src/basic_1.o -o t/src/basic_1.exe
blib/lib/libparrot.a -lmsvcrt' failed with exit code 1
# Failed to build 't/src/basic_1.exe': gcc: blib/lib/libparrot.a: No
such file or directory
#     Failed test (t/src/basic.t at line 5)

<.. snip 212K of similar ..>

so it looks like there is a wee problem with the following line in my
Makefile:
LIBPARROT = blib/lib/libparrot$(A)
I have no idea what it should read instead, or where it came from.

Regards,
Pete