First off apologies if there is some posting/site which details
this well - I started at www.parrotcode.org and spent a while
fruitlessly wondering why noone had posted at the mailing list
archive nicely html'ified
http://archive.develooper.com/[EMAIL PROTECTED]/ for a while

before finding the far more useful active state site (which would be nice
to link from parrotcode.org for occassional watchers like myself). Anyway,
even with search I couldn't find an answer... so... i'm hoping someone can
enlighten me.

I run a large a Perl5 based project and although we are rather dangerously
addicted to Perl5, the reference counting GC, lack of good threads and
inability to have (optional) compile-time checking is a real pain in the
arse for the amount of code we have.

We also have a parallel Java API for our system, and although Java does
behave v. annoyingly in some cornor cases in some implementations the
strong compile-time checking and then the cute integration with Jython for
lightweigt scripting is pretty close to heaven...

[Yup; we have played with Inline::Java - got burnt one year ago, we are
taking it for a spin in another project now, but this does seem
essentially clunky]

Now - an ideal world would be:

  Perl-5 or Perl-5 like syntax for lightweight scripting

  Java or Java-like syntax for objects

  An consistent, few-cornor case, executation engine that can handle
circular references and threads

  Embeddable in Apache like mod_perl

  perl6 as a language looks cute, but... is not so necessary.

So... my question is - Can anyone give me dates for the above features in
the parrot/perl[5|6] path? Is it "sometime in 2004" for an alpha release
or "sometime in 2005" for an alpha release or "we're really not sure,
check back in 6 months?"

And, out of interest, what is the rate limiting step for this (amount of
coffee given to Dan?)

I realise this is a somewhat frustrating question to answer, but any
answers (even partial) would help

thanks

ewan