From: "Seiler Thomas" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> First of all,
> yet_another_shy_lurker++;
Welcome.  :-)

> > On cygwin, the final link fails with the following error:-
> >
> > gcc -o parrot.exe -s -L/usr/local/lib  -g  imcc/main.o
> > blib/lib/libparrot.a -lcrypt
> > blib/lib/libparrot.a(io_unix.o)(.text+0x87e): In function
> > `PIO_sockaddr_in': /home/Jonathan/parrot_test/io/io_unix.c:468:
> > undefined reference to `_inet_pton'
>
> I had that problem when i tried to compile parrot on
> one of our school machines(cygwin). inet_pton is an
> addressfamily independent version of inet_aton that
> works with normal ip adresses aswell as ipv6 adresses,
> but is mostly only defined on machines that support ipv6.
>
> > inet_pton has not yet been implemented in cygwin, but it is being
> > worked on...
> > http://win6.jp/Cygwin/
>
> Indeed, but I think there might be other unix-like environments
> that (do not yet|will never) provide the inet_pton function.
> So I tried to add a inet_pton implementation for the cases where
> the platform does not provide it. Apache 2.0 goes that way,
> http://lxr.webperf.org/source.cgi/srclib/apr/network_io/unix/inet_pton.c

This was the kinda solution I had in mind, but my network programming
knowledge is way under par.

> I alread managed to adapt that piece of source slightly so that
> it compiles during the parrot build process. Now I'm trying to
> understand parrots configuration system in order to compile
> this only if there is no inet_pton defined.

You may want to take a look at config/auto/memalign.pl, which I believe is
one of a number of scripts that generates a c file and attempts to compile
it, then does something based upon the success of that attempt.

> But then, im only a shy_lurker so this might take some time...

Thanks for having a crack at it.

Jonathan