Pardon me, I am trudging through all this thread backlog and
have been trying not to post to add to the bandwidth.

At 12:27 PM 1/23/2004 -0800, Damien Neil wrote:
An existence proof:

Java Collections are a standard Java library of common data structures
such as arrays and hashes.  Collections are not synchronized; access
involves no locks at all.  Multiple threads accessing the same
collection at the same time cannot, however, result in the virtual
machine crashing.  (They can result in data structure corruption,
but this corruption is limited to "surprising results" rather than
"VM crash".)

But this accomplishes nothing useful and still means the data structure
is not re-entrant, nor is it corruption "resistant", regardless of how we judge it.

-Melvin