From: "Goplat" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> --- Vladimir Lipsky <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > From: "Goplat" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> >
> > > flags_to_win32 sets fdwShareMode to FILE_SHARE_DELETE, which is not
> > > supported in win98
> >
> > A fix for that should be windows version specific and needs support of
the
> > config subsystem.
>
> If you did that, a version compiled on NT wouldn't work on 9x. I'd say
most
> 9x users don't compile perl themself, they just download a binary from
> ActiveState (who use NT)...

Then there should be different binaries for different versions

> If you really need FILE_SHARE_DELETE that badly, the check would have to
be

Yeah and async I/O, and other stuff that aren't avaible in perl5 and windows
95/98/Me/CE. If we didn't yet distinguish windows versions, it's the time to
do so.

> done at runtime. I don't think it's all that necessary though... in fact
perl
> 5 only uses FILE_SHARE_READ, and that only if the file's not opened for
write/append.

Does perl5 use FILE_SHARE_READ when >+ and <+ modes are specified? In any
case what you said sounds like a bug to me, since this policy restricts
other threads(even threads of the same process) to access the file in the
indentical mode.