Larry Wall wrote in perl.perl6.language :

> Possibly a CHECK block that is compiled after end of main compilation
> should translate itself to a UNITCHECK.  But maybe it should be an error.
>
> But it's also possible that CHECK should mean "unit check", and
> there should be an explicit MAINCHECK for delegating checks to the
> main compilation.  In that case, only in the main compilation would
> CHECK and MAINCHECK mean the same thing.  (And since MAINCHECK is
> explicitly requesting a check at the end of main, a late MAINCHECK
> should probably be considered an error.  (But by that argument, a late
> CHECK should probably fail under the current naming scheme.))
>
> Anybody got opinions on the naming of these beasts?  Certainly *not*
> renaming CHECK is more compatible with Perl 5.  And I kinda got fond
> of UNITCHECK in the last hour or so.  :-)

I think I like CHECK and MAINCHECK. (and MAINCHECK being an error
after the main compilation phase.)

Lots of people who use CHECK (for some value of "lots" -- let's say,
Damian and a few others) actually mean UNITCHECK. MAINCHECK is mainly
useful for the O compiler backend, which is part of the perl core
anyway, thus without any backward-compatility constraint. (I'd like to
have opinions about PAR as well.) So I think changing the meaning of
CHECK in Perl 5 is feasible. (and I know it would be welcomed by the
mod_perl crowd.)