Another possibility is to use a UTF-8 extended system where you use values over
0x10FFFF to encode temporary code block swaps in the encoding.  I.e.,
some magic value means the one byte UTF-8 codes now mean the Greek block
instead of the ASCII block.   But you would need broad agreement for that to
work.  As Dan said this really need a separation between encoding and character set.

--
Mark Biggar
[EMAIL PROTECTED]