Someday we will set aside our optimization focus.
Our architectural validation probe will be complete.
We will have established that yes, the parrot design
can support the required speed.  Further optimization
will be seen as premature optimization. Our focus will
shift to making parrot actually work. To giving it
working exceptions, io, embeddablility, and so on.
To making parrot a platform which language implementers
can seriously target.

Just a thought.

Given Leo's numbers, it seemed a possibility worth suggesting.

I can certainly imagine other policies.  Like focusing on performance
and using it to drive interest and obtain additional people to get
things working.  But we should be clear on what we are doing.

Mitchell