BTW, it doesn't compile on any platform at the moment, after a realclean on
the first "make" it complains about
../data/locales/ja.txt:15: parse error. Stopped parsing with
U_INVALID_FORMAT_ERROR
couldn't parse the file ja.txt. Error:U_INVALID_FORMAT_ERROR
make[1]: *** [../data/out/build/icudt26l_ja.res] Error 3

Try a "make realclean" first--Dan checked in a fix for this, and it seems to require this to force everything to start fresh.

If you do a make at this point again, it skips these steps and tries to link
parrot, failing on many undefined symbols, I believe from the non existent
ICU.

At this point I'd expect it to link, but maybe not run well--that failure comes when packaging up the data files, and at that point the the libraries themselves should already be built and in the right place. But you are detecting some "loose" behavior in the Makefile, which was done in part so that ICU wouldn't rebuild unless you "make clean".

JEff