On 2004-04-16 at 08:50:38, Brent 'Dax' Royal-Gordon wrote:
> Mark J. Reed wrote:
> >Nope.  I'd be perfectly happy if the modulus operator were spelled "mod"
> >instead of %, which has never struck me as particularly intuitive.
>
> I always saw it as being a funny division sign.  See the little slash in
> there?

Yeah, I know that's what motivated its choice in C (or was it inherited
from B or BCPL?), but the fact remains that it already had a
mathematical interpretation that is in conflict with that use - a
conflict which is nowhere more evident then in the behavior of dc(1)
with k=0 (% = modulus) vs k>0 (% = percentage).

-Mark