On Wed, 2004-04-28 at 11:56, Dan Sugalski wrote:

>     stat [PINS]x, Sy, Iz
>     stat Px, Sy
[...]
> The returned PMC in the two-arg case could be a hash/array pmc and
> allow string-keyed access to elements. If we do that, then the names
> correspond to the constant names that follow.

> NAME          Filename, no extension or path
> EXTENSION     File extension

This represents a world-view that is not universal. Rather than making
Parrot into a lens through which system features need to be de-coded,
why not provide a set of modular native-friendly tools with which to
perform such operations?

After all, in UNIX-land you can't know what the "extension" is (just
look at the filenames "auto.home", ".bash_logout" and "foo.tar.gz").

If you have a POSIX view by default, but provide a set of opcodes that
specialize in Win32, Darwin, VMS, PalmOS, then you can avoid these
points of confusion.

Heck, you might even provide this abstraction as yet another layer, if
it's really helpful. But most languages/system libraries that don't come
out of Microsoft expect a POSIX view of the world, so that's probably a
reasonable default.

--
Aaron Sherman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Senior Systems Engineer and Toolsmith