Jeff Clites <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Apr 28, 2004, at 4:57 AM, Bryan C. Warnock wrote:

>> Does (that which the masses normally refer to as) binary data
>> fall inside or outside the scope of a string?

> Some languages make this very clear by providing a separate data type
> to hold a "blob of bytes".

Back to Parrot, which isn't covered by the manifesto. But anyway we
already need[1] "enum_stringrep_blob" or "_bytes". I can't imagine that
we use a different data type, this would totally mess with Perl
compatibility.

We must ensure that such a string is never upscaled to another string
representation. We can do all byte-wise operations on such a string, but
e.g. appending an utfX string or such should be an error.

The main problem currently seems to be IO, where the best thing would be
to move the current hacks into a separate layer above the buffered
layer. An additiional parameter for open (or layer manipulation
features) can select byte-wise IO.

[1]
- transparent IO
  e.g. $ parrot md5sum.imc a.out