On Fri, Jul 16, 2004 at 02:57:56AM -0400, Randy W. Sims wrote:

> Gabor Szabo wrote:
> >I can see from the testers page that Devel::Cover is supposed
> >to work on Windows.
> >Is there a ppd distribution of it somewhere so I can install
> >it on ActivePerl without a compiler ?
> >
> >Currently if I type
> >
> >    ppm install Devel::Cover
> >
> >I get version 0.2 of Devel::Coverage. Not what I wanted.
>
> It builds ok for me on one of my Windows machines, so I'm not sure why
> it's failing ActiveState's build system <http://ppm.activestate.com/>.
> The log message isn't that helpful. I know that their system basically
> goes through CPAN trying to build each module. Only those that build out
> of the box without intervention make it to the repository. I haven't
> really checked, but one common cause of failure, I would suspect, are
> dynamic dependencies, i.e. dependencies that are not specified to MakeMaker.

That shouldn't be a problem for Devel::Cover.  The two prerequisites
are listed in the Makefile.PL, and are in the core in 5.8 anyway.  As
you mention, the log file from the Windows build is useless, but from
the other builds, which all fail too, I can see that when the tests are
run the core modules are being picked up from a tmp dir, which is not
where they were found when Makefile.PL was run.  This means that
Devel::Cover does not know they are core and so collects coverage on
them.  This in turn causes the tests to fail.  It seems likely that
something similar is happening with Windows.

I don't think there is anything I can reasonably do about that from my
side.  I suppose it's the price you pay for deviating from the four line
mantra.  But if anyone does find out what is actually happening and I
can fix things up on my side I'll be happy to look into it.  I suppose I
could skip all the tests if I can somehow find out it's running on
ActiveState's build system.

As an aside, my Gedcom module always used to fail because the tests took
too long to run, though I see it passes now.  And my Shell::Source
module has passed, even though it doesn't run on Windows ;-)

--
Paul Johnson - [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.pjcj.net