RAD

On Wed, Jul 14, 2004 at 10:03:43PM +0800, RaghavendraK 70574 wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Am a hardcore C++ guy and don;t know much abt the Perl. But one
> of my friend has proved that the fastest way to RAD is Perl. I
> need to know if we can convert a Perl script to a dynamic link
> library under unix only.

If you really buy the RAD idea, it will RADically affect the way
you work. you enter a more dynamic world than the one one
precompiled executable and libraries,It will go way beyond mere
dynamic linking.

Rapid Application Development can be effectively done if there is
no explicit separate compilation stage before execution. As a
result, there is an incitation on incremantal development.
Environments with a embedded interpreter fit that definition. In
Lisp parlance, there is a REPL (Read-Eval-Print-Loop) involved.
As a result if you want to dynamically link something to your code
to support RAD, this will be that interpretor.

Depending on what you do, it may dynamically glue to some
existing libraries or it may interpret code in the interpreter
language. Such code will probably not be precompiled because the
way it will be called may dramatically affect the generated code.

You would code in the interpretor language (like Perl6) and only
fall-back to C++ when the interpreted language is not fast
enough.

What _will_ be special about Parrot is a special emphasis on
supporting many interpreted languages. This may help RAD because
it potentially augment the numbers of libraries available.

--
 stef