Brent 'Dax' Royal-Gordon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>> hopefully without dependencies on external non-Perl things like gcc).
>
> Don't think it'll be possible for modules that have C components,

I'm really hoping Perl6 will be sufficiently powerful that C
components won't be needed or wanted.

>> Oh, and here's me resisting the urge to suggest that use ought to
>> automatically install from the CPAN anything that isn't present, as
>> a core behavior right out of the box.
>
> Security nightmare.

*shrug*

Running untrusted code (Perl or otherwise) on your system that you
haven't examined first is inherently a security nightmare.  If it
wants to download things from wherever and install them it can
(assuming that you're running under an account that has privileges to
install or at least has its own install location just for that
account), and that's not all it can do, not by a longshot.

Or did you mean that someone might compromise the CPAN in order to
compromise all the systems downloading stuff from it?  Again, that's
already true now, in theory.  (More likely, a single mirror would be
compromised.  One would hope it would be discovered quickly.)

However, I wasn't serious about making use automatically install.
Well, not altogether serious.  CPAN.pm or something like it is really
almost good enough, and what it lacks can be added in without any
change to the behavior of use.  Installing once before you use is
really not a very large burden in the scheme of things.

I was, however, very pleased to hear that we won't have to reinstall
half the contents of the CPAN every time we upgrade Perl or Parrot.
Definitely looking forward to that improvement.

split//,"[EMAIL PROTECTED]/ --";$\=$ ;-> ();print$/