At Tue, 24 Aug 2004 15:19:52 -0400,
Dan Sugalski wrote:

> At 11:47 AM -0700 8/24/04, Sean O'Rourke wrote:
> >At Tue, 24 Aug 2004 13:33:45 -0400,
> >Dan Sugalski wrote:
> >>  7) Strings are treated as floats for math operations
> >
> >I think we can do better than this by first converting a string to the
> >"least" reasonable numeric type (with int < float < bignum), then
> >re-dispatching to the appropriate numeric x numeric operation.  Always
> >treating strings as floats means we lose both when 2+3 != 2+"3" and
> >when one of the strings is too large to be a floating-point number.
> >Also, doing this redispatch means that the printed and internal
> >representations of numbers will always behave the same way.
>
> I'm still not sure about doing dynamic down-typing (or whatever it's
> called) to get the tighest possible type. I'm getting the distinct
> feeling that it's what most people want, though. :)

This doesn't have to involve dynamic down-typing, only a
string-to-numeric converter that returns the most specific type.
After that, operations between two numeric objects are welcome to do
whatever they want.  I actually agree with you that it's just not
worth it to check for possible down-conversions.

/s