It seems pretty clear that the general opinion is that operations should produce the tightest reasonable type for an operation--integer multiplication should produce an integer unless it can't, for example.

For our purposes I think the typing should go:

   platform int->float->bignum

with an operation producing a type no tighter than the loosest type in the operation. (so int/float gives a float, float-bignum gives a bignum)

This seem reasonable?
--
                                Dan

                                      teddy bears get drunk