Nicholas Clark <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 25, 2004 at 01:03:07PM -0400, Dan Sugalski wrote:
>> Okay, as has been suggested, the type order for numbers should go:

>> (so int+bignum gets a bignum, but int+int will be an int if the
>> result fits, or a bignum if it doesn't), and error operations
>> (division by zero, overflow, or precision loss) throw an exception.

> I'm not sure that I agree, because for int,int operations (except
> division with a non-integer result) you can know if the result will
> fit in a float without loss.

Well, the loss of precision could be detected on the initial conversion.
*But* if you've once converted to float subsequent operations may or may
not be lossy. Detecting that would need processor-specific hacks and
could use an unreasonable amount of resources, e.g. for saving the FP
environment on x86.

> Nicholas Clark

leo