At 12:33 PM -0700 9/22/04, chromatic wrote:
On Wed, 2004-09-22 at 12:21, Dan Sugalski wrote:

 Larry's told me that as far as he's concerned the sigil is now part
 of the variable name. So perl doesn't *have* a variable foo -- it has
 $foo, @foo, %foo, and so on. (Granted, methods/subs are &foo, but for
 that I'm OK slipping some chocolate to the perl 6 compiler guys and
 getting them to quietly detect that and strip it out :)

Is it worthwhile assuming that many cross-language boundaries will share objects, meaning that opaque objects with accessor methods look fairly natural in the target language?

Yep, I think so. If there's no sigil on the method name it works out fine, since you'll get the object itself from a function or method in most cases. (Otherwise you'd have to get it from a global somewhere, and we know how evil globals are... :)
--
Dan

                                      teddy bears get drunk