Christian Jaeger wrote:
Ok, I've looked at the test_exec_linux source, and tried it out separately; it's clear what happens to me now: I've enabled the following GrSecurity option, which makes the mprotect system call fail with a permission error - the test even outputs this as the line "failure: Permission denied".

CONFIG_GRKERNSEC_PAX_MPROTECT
  Enabling this option will prevent programs from
   - changing the executable status of memory pages that were
     not originally created as executable,

With that option enabled we'd need a different mem_alloc_executable/mem_free_executable pair. Can you try to replace the allocation to use mmap with the PROT_EXEC bit set?

I did perl Configure.pl --optimize. I still get a parrot that is about 4 times slower than perl5,

... with the fib test. Yes. That's the reason for the ongoing discussion for a different calling scheme.

... and for which none of the -f,-g,-P,-S,-C,-j options does seem to make a significant difference in speed. (see data below).

That was a bug that is already fixed. Please update from CVS.

leo