Yes, that's right folks - I said RedHat.

I got a shiny new development machine at work that I
can install anything I want on.  The trouble is that
it doesn't have any net access so I have to transfer
everything via memory stick or CD.  I just so happened
to have some RH CDs lying around, so that's what I
went with.

1.  Transfer ICU 3.0 and build from source
2.  Do a fresh CVS checkout of parrot, transfer and
build

$ perl Configure.pl --optimize
<configure all goes well>

$ make
<all goes well until parrot is linked>

c++ -o parrot -L/usr/local/lib -Wl,-E -g imcc/main.o
blibl/lib/libparrot.a -lnsl -ldl -lm -lpthread -lcrypt
-lutil -lrt -lgmp -lpthread -lm -L/usr/local/lib
-licuuc -licudata -lpthread -lm

./parrot -o runtime/parrot/include/parrotlib.pbc
runtime/parrot/library/parrotlib.imc

./parrot:  error while loading shared libraries:
libicuuc.so.30: cannot open shared object file:  No
such file or directory
make: *** [runtime/parrot/include/parrotlib.pbc] Error
127

ICU libs are in /usr/local/lib
/usr/local/lib is in my path
all libs are executable
libicuuc.so.30 indeed does exist in that directory

Any advice?

Cheers
Joshua Gatcomb
a.k.a. Limbic~Region