On Sun, Oct 31, 2004 at 12:33:53PM -0800, Jeff Clites wrote:
> The Makefile uses this in place of the 'touch' command:
>
>       perl -e 'open(A,qq{>>$_}) or die foreach @ARGV'
>
> On Mac OS X at least, this doesn't result in updating the timestamp of
> the passed-in files. (Also, by my reading of the POSIX/SUSv3 spec, this
> is correct behavior--open() isn't supposed to update the timestamp of
> an existing file.)
>
> I wonder if this works on any platform--maybe Win32?
>
> I suggest that the value of TOUCH be configurable, defaulting to the
> 'touch' command on Unix-like systems--not sure what to use for other
> systems. Or we could try this, which might work for all systems:

ExtUtils::Command provides tested cross-platform versions of the most
common shell functions.  These should be used.

For example:

        perl -"MExtUtils::Command" -e touch

--
Michael G Schwern        [EMAIL PROTECTED]  http://www.pobox.com/~schwern/
IIRC someone observed that they couldn't name identifiers in Ethiopian,