Dan Sugalski wrote:
Okay, here's a question for everyone to hash out.

Assuming I have a parrot string which is explicitly marked as a binary string...

What should happen when it's told to upcase/downcase/titlecase itself? (You may assume that we have strings which are explicitly marked at least Unicode, so there is a difference between STRING* which are text and binary)
My vote, not that it much matters, is to throw an exception. That exception can then be handled in whatever way the language that compiled the code in question wants. (I'd want perl6 to do nothing and leave the string as-is, with an optional, default-on, warning, but that's a matter for p6l.)

Mechanism, not policy, on this issue.

-=- James Mastros