Dan Sugalski wrote:

At 11:04 AM -0500 11/3/04, Sam Ruby wrote:

This omission seems odd. Was this intentional?

Nope.

A single pow_p_p_p op backed by a (non-MMD) vtable entry would make it easier to support code like the following:

  def f(x): return x**3
  print f(3), f(2.5)

Yeah, it would. I know I'm going to regret asking, but... any reason *not* to make it MMD? (Though I have no idea what happens if you square a matrix)

No objection to a MMD, just attempting to propose the "simplest thing that can possibly work". Also, there are all sorts of other opcodes that might be worth discussing, like pow_p_p_ic.

- Sam Ruby

P.S. Yes, squaring a matrix is valid operation. As would be squaring a complex number.