Larry Wall writes:

> On Wed, Nov 10, 2004 at 01:12:46PM -0600, Rod Adams wrote:
>
> : /usr/bin/perl6    forces perl6
> : /usr/bin/ponie    forces ponie
> : /usr/bin/perl5p   alias for ponie, as some sites might find the term
> : "ponie" too removed from "perl"
> : /usr/bin/perl    uses other rules to detect ponie vs perl6.
>
> But note that you're assuming with that last one that /usr/bin/perl
> isn't the current Perl 5 interpreter.  I'm not sure that's a valid
> assumption any time soon.

Rod wasn't necessarily presuming that /usr/bin/perl would _commonly_ be
the new Perl interpreter; but if somebody _does_ set up a computer in
which that was the case, it ought to do something and preferably DTRT.

But I'm guessing there's nothing special about the name /usr/bin/perl,
and that invoking the interpreter by any name that isn't perl6 or any
other declared 'special' name goes for the behaviour you explained of
assuming Perl 5 until it encounters one of the constructs such as a bare
C<my;> that persuade it otherwise.

Smylers